KOTA BARU: Former Pas vice-president Datuk Husam Musa has urged police to investigate a previous allegation that RM90 million had been chanelled to several of the party leaders before the 14th General Election (GE14).
He said it was only appropriate for police to look into the matter following new revelation that Umno had transferred RM2.5 million to Pas and the money could have come from funds misappropriated from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim earlier this week said police will check first whether a report had been lodged regarding the claim.
Noor Rashid was reported to have said this when he was asked to comment about media reports that copies of the transfer transactions had surfaced on social media.
Husam, who is state Pakatan harapan chairman, said while police look into the RM2.5 million transfer, they should also probe claims that between RM90 million to RM200 million had been chanelled to Pas leaders through a local bank account before GE14.
“When I raised this issue previously, Pas had threatened to sue me.
“However, we need to get to the bottom of this,” he said.
Meanwhile, Pas deputy spiritual leader Datuk Ahmad Yakob said the party was open to being investigated.
He said Pas considered the allegation as slander against the party.
Ahmad, who is Kelantan Menteri Besar, said all this while Pas had strived to get its own political funds without anyone’s help.
“If we had depended on Umno for money, Pas would have been an extremely rich party.
“However, that is not the case. We are still a moderate party until now,” he said.
It was previously reported that Pas president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang had sued Sarawak Report in London over claims that the party had received the RM90 million from Umno in 2016.
The suit, which was filed by Abdul Hadi in April 2017, was related to an article published on the whistleblower website that claimed RM90 million was "reckoned" to have entered the accounts of top Pas leaders to woo them into supporting Umno and Barisan Nasional (BN).
The London High Court has set a provisional date for a full trial for 10 days from April 1 to 12, 2019.